Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Ireland - Dublin to Galway

YAY! Today I finished up my work stuff. Training is over! Woo hoo!
I was very pleased with how today went. I was teaching material that I am pretty vaguely familiar with, but I totally pulled it off. Class seemed interested and learned something. Very good.

So after that, I caught taxi with Dave and one of the customers, Robert, to the airport. From there I picked up my rental car. It's a tiny little bugger. I'll get some pictures tomorrow.
So, driving on the left hand side actually has turned out to be a lot easier than I thought it would be. The hardest thing is when I walk up to the car to get in it, I still walk up the the left hand side.

Hehehe. The whole time I am driving I just keep thinking left left left left. It works :)
So I drove clear across Ireland today. Seriously. I drove from Dublin to Galway. It took me about 2.5-3 hours. Pretty uneventful drive and really nothing much to see either. But I got to Galway, and I set the GPS unit in the car (yeah, I HAD to have it. so glad I did) for Eyre Square in Galway. It is a REALLY cool area. Lots of shops (most were closed tonight) and bars and stuff.

I ended up walking into this record store called Red Light Records. Me and the owner, Des, totally hit it off. He just got back from a 6 week trip across the USA. New York to San Fransisco I believe he said. He went through Austin even! But didn't get much time to spare there. Too bad. Completely cool guy. We chatted for I dunno maybe close to two hours.

Turns out we have very similar music tastes and he played a ton of Irish acts for me. I ended up walking out with 9 CDs! HAHAHA it was a load of fun though. Shot the shit for a while.. then I was STARVING! I walked around trying to find an Italian place, but they were all closed. I ended up at this Chinese place and it was SOOOOOO good. They had this homemade hot chili sauce and I loaded up on it. I was running out of my nose and eyes. That is always a good sign.
After that I strolled around for a while, down the shop/bar district.

Very cool. I went to check out this one club where Ryan Adams is playing next week. Tonight there was no more music by the time I got there. Got a recommendation from the door guy and headed over to another place. The music there was eh.. it was traditional Irish, but the band was a bunch of old farts and quite honestly, not very good. I did enjoy a Guiness there though.
Finally grabbed my car and headed out to find a hotel. I just found one. It's 1am.
Tomorrow I will check out Galway in the daylight in the morning. Then I will head out for Doolin and the Cliffs of Moher. Hopefully make it out there by early afternoon. I will check that out tomorrow, and then possibly drive down to the Ring Of Kerry. Just playing it by ear.
I have a hotel booked in Dublin for Friday night. Then I fly back out for home on Saturday.

Lots to pack into a couple days. Should be fun!


Dave! My coworker that I did training with.

I saw this on my drive to Galway. Looked cool. I didn't have time to stop so I just took this quickly while I got stopped in traffic. It came out ok for a quick shot.

I ate dinner at this Chinese place and they had this cool painting on the wall.

The old fart band.

A bar.

Read the rest of this post - CLICK here!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home