Thursday, April 13, 2006

Castles and countryside

I woke up at 5am to give John the luggage. Slept until 7:45am when I got my wakeup call (in German, as I requested). I asked the front desk to not wake me up in English each day I was there, but in German instead so I get the full experience :) It´s kinda nice waking up to something you can´t understand.
I slept a bit more until 8:15am. Showered, packed up mz plastic bag´s worth of stuff and headed out. On my way to te train station, I stopped to buy a 34.99 Euro backpack. Kinda pricy, but I really needed it. Then to the train station to buy my tickets. Bought the just before the train and then headed out. The ride went through the forest and I started to see snow everywhere. Got to Hechingen and just missed the one bus that goes to the castle daily. I ended up grabbing a taxi for 12 E to the castle. Got to the castle and decided to hike up the trail instead of waiting for the shuttle bus. Ummmm, can you say COLD??? Only one set of footprints through the snow going up the stairs on the trail. Couldn't even see the stairs, just had to trust that they were where the footprints were. Not sure if it was the altitude (I have no idea how high I am), or if I'm just out of shape, but it winded me for sure.
At the top of the trail, I bought my ticket for the indoor tour. Hung around for a while until the tour started. It was all in German, so I didn't understand a word of it, but it was very coolen to see the inside. The present castle there really isn't all that old, but it is the 4th castle on the spot. The first from the 13th or 14th century. They all got torn down during sieges.
I decided to pony up the 1.30 E for the shuttle down. Had to wait for the shuttle to show and it was CRAZY cold. I was getting nervous because it didn't show until 14:00 and mz next train connection was at 14:27 and I still had to call a taxi, wait for it, and then a 10 minute ride into town. The taxi showed at 14:12. I asked him if he could make it in time and he assured me he could. I talked with him a bit. He didn't speak much English but I learned that he was born in the same small town (Hechingen) and he hadn't left. He sdai in the last 2 days they got over a foot and a half of snow (he showed me with his hands). So he got me there by about 14:19. Plenty of time :) I got on the train and that's where I am now. I'm hoping to get a chance to pick up a snow cap and gloves and a sweatshirt. Not sure I will have time until Zurich.
Off we go....

Read the rest of this post - CLICK here!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home